Let’s admit it – most of us could do with a little more stretching. Especially with all the extra sitting we are doing at the moment. Here are just 7 simple stretches you can incorporate into your daily routine.
- The lying hamstring floor stretch. Lie on your back and bring one leg straight up in the air. Use a strap or towel to assist pulling your straight leg back. Hold for 30 seconds twice for each leg.
- Knee to chest stretch. Lying on your back, bring one knee into your chest. This helps strengthen and relax your glutes. Hold for 20 seconds for each leg twice.
- Spinal stretch. Lie on your back. Bring one bent knee across your body and apply some pressure with your hand. Hold for 20 seconds and repeat on the other knee. Do this twice on each side.
- The piriformis stretch. Lying on your back, bend both knees. Place your right foot on top of your left knee and apply pressure with your right hand onto your right knee. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat on the other leg.
- The hip flexors stretch. Kneel on your hands and knees. Step forward with your right foot. Press your left hip towards the ground. Hold for 30 seconds and then switch and repeat.
- The quadriceps lying down stretch. Lie on your side and pull your top foot back with your hand. Press your top hip forward. Hold for 30 seconds on each side. Do this one twice on each side.
- The total back stretch. Stand behind a stable chair. Hold onto the back of the chair with 2 hands and drop your head between your arms, straightening them out so you can feel a nice upper back stretch. Hold for 10 seconds on both sides. Hold this for 30 seconds.